Situated on the banks of the River Corrib in Galway City, Galway Cathedral is the most recently built of Europe’s great stone cathedrals and is one of the most impressive buildings in the city.
Construction began in 1958 on the site of the old city prison. It was completed in 1965 and jointly dedicated to Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St. Nicholas.
The church was opened on 15 August 1965.
The architect was John J. Robinson who had previously designed other churches in Dublin and around the country.
The architecture of the cathedral draws on many influences.
The dome and pillars reflect a Renaissance style.
The rose windows and mosaics echo the tradition of Christian art.
The cathedral dome, at a height of 44.2 metres
(145 feet) is a prominent landmark in the city skyline.