Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wai-O-Tapu ... Thermal Wonderland, North Island, New Zealand

 We soon arrived at the area Jerry and I were most excited to see!  The Wai-O-Tapu "Thermal Wonderland".  There were trails (tracks) throughout the area and it was incredibly interesting.
BEST WHEN VIEWED ENLARGED

A thermal river steams and puffs out that wonderful sulfur smell in many places.


 This was the scene just around the bend of the same river above.


 Thermal caves...


 This area is called the "Devil's Ink Pots".


 Devil's Ink Pots





 Staying on the marked trails (tracks) is VERY important despite the temptation to get closer looks.







 This is where I couldn't stop taking images...the movement of the steam altered the scene so dramatically that I wanted to catch it all!


 The colors are fabulous!


 The walkway (track) cuts through the middle...DRAMATIC!








 I waited for people to come and go for interesting images...before we took our own turns to do the same.





 Peeking through the bushes creates even another scene.





 Great reflections!

 A guide leads the way for those who care to follow.
Jerry is with the group from our tour...I am lagging behind, of course.


 Some seem to be enjoying the smell!


 I think it is truly a Wonderland...smell and all!





 Some abstract photography is a must!

 The lines and shapes are spectacular.


 I keep trying for the perfect shot...don't know if I got it or not because the scene constantly changes.









 ...another side and another view





 ...a straight "down in the water" view!  WOW...the color!


 At this point I realized I lost the group and Jerry...oh well...I'll walk back on my own.


One last shot!

...and one last look at the sign before we left.
Wai-O-Tapu, North Island, New Zealand
November 22, 2012

No comments: