Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday Part 2 / Float Decorating / Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade


New Years Day is just 3 days away and the preparations for the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California are in full swing!  The floats are being decorated and the public is able to view the working volunteers this week.  What an amazing sight it is!  The floats are decorated with everything natural, such as seeds, beans, grasses, rice and flowers and more flowers.  The floats were surrounded by scaffolding, ladders and various tools today. That will start to disappear tomorrow and taking photographs will be easier.

This is what I saw today and I hope to return tomorrow to see the changes and progress.  Some of the floats are so tall that they have to be folded down in order to fit inside the building.  They will be righted before they reach the parade route. Friday morning will be here so fast!

Click on photos to enlarge!

Outdoor Wednesday

13 comments:

sunnymama said...

Wow! Looks like the floats are going to be awesome. Hope you have a fantastic time at the parade and I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished sloats. :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Wow! What a great experience to be able to see them being made! Some of these would work for Mellow Yellow Monday also.

My name is Riet said...

Wow, that must be a beautiful parade. How great you can see the floats being built.
Happy New Year

eileeninmd said...

It must be a cool experience to watch the floats in progess. They look beautiful already. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Years.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What an interesting experience.

Lynn

Quilt Works said...

Very neat! I've never seen float being decorated before!



...waterfront in my favorite day trip destination!

beth said...

wow wow wow...I so would be there with you taking photos....so cool !

Shellbelle said...

Wow, more! These are great photos, I feel like I'm right there (almost). I love, love, love that you're taking us right along with you. I have to put you on my blogroll, so I don't miss a thing! lol

Martha Z said...

Great series. Although I grew up in L A I have never been to the parade or gone to see the floats. They are so beautiful, they must be even better in person.

sherri@lavenderfields said...

Yay! I'm back for part two! Amazing! I guess as I'm writing this they are still working like crazy! I think when I see this parade I'm going to have a new found appreciation of the work that goes into making these floats! Thanks again! Sherri : )

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks, Carolyn, for giving me a glimpse at the preparation for what ends up being a gorgeous parade! :) Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

This is a lovely treat to see the bits and pieces being put together for New Year's Day. Thanks!

KMOYMAMA said...

Thank you for sharing these photos! Of course I have never seen floats being built before. I can feel how you were excited taking these photos. I am looking forward to seeing them on the parade day.