Tuesday, September 8, 2009

That's My World Tuesday / Route 66 Road Signs






Part of the Historic Route 66 goes through southern California and is a road frequented by those who live in the Inland Empire. It is called Foothill Boulevard locally. This road was constructed in 1926 and was routed from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California. It passed through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Route 66 was removed from the state highway system in 1985 when the interstate system was developed but, there are several segments still used locally in various states. Now most refer to it as Historic Route 66. Route 66 was sometimes referred to as "Main Street of America" and also "The Mother Road."

These photographs are of the road signs that we see locally, here, in the Inland Empire of Southern California.

That's My World Tuesday

4 comments:

diane b said...

Thanks for that information. I always wondered what happened to Route 66. Neat photos.

SandyCarlson said...

I like these very much.

SquirrelQueen said...

The signs are so cool. I've only had the opportunity to drive a very small section of Route 66, someday I would love to do all of the remaining sections.

Dorothy said...

My hubby has been wanting to drive to Chicago (to see his daughter) and then all the way to CA on Route 66. This tells me a little more about it. Thanks for posting.