Sunday, March 28, 2010

Macro Monday / A Snowy Walk in the Woods - Mariposa Grove, Yosemite National Park, California USA

We took a 2 mile hike, this past week, up to the Mariposa Grove of the Giant Sequoias in Yosemite National Park.
The elevation gain was 1000 feet in that two miles.  
There is still a lot of snow at the 5,000 ft. and higher elevations which is why we had to walk the road rather than drive to the grove.
I saw this lonely Black Oak leaf lying in the snow.

I thought this patch of melting snow looked like a ghost at first.
Then I decided it looked more like an owl...
But, today (3 days later) it might not look like anything at all.
March 25, 2010

11 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Neat shots! Definitely a ghost!

EG CameraGirl said...

Great ghost, Carolyn!

Birgitta said...

Great macros!

Carletta said...

The leaf reminds me of a hand!
I LOVE the melting white owl - a perfect comparison.

Jay said...

To me, it's definitely an owl! Just proves that beauty (and shape) is in the eye of the beholder, doesn't it?

Colleen said...

I saw the face right away.

Kim, USA said...

It's a great shot! Thanks for the visit!

Macro Monday

fredamans said...

Awesome shots!

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/03/macroday-floral.html

Tammie Lee said...

sounds like you had a grand visit with the big trees and in snow! I once saw a elf in the floor of a motel, my son wanted to see it. But when we went to see, it was gone. He said "yes, I thought it would be gone".

MyMaracas said...

My first thought was "owl" - but a ghost works too. Pretty colors and textures there.

Gel said...

Glad you enjoyed your hike. I particularly like the "owl" 2nd shot! Made me smile besides it's clarity and cool composition.