Saturday, March 6, 2010

Photo Hunter / Theme is "Foreign"

 
The theme is "foreign" this week for Photo Hunters.
I am posting these photos from my archives back in July/August 2006.
My husband and I took our first trip to Japan and the last 5 days of our 2 1/2 week trip was spent with our Japanese friends, Kenkichi and Yuki-ye on the island of Kyushu.
Our 5 days were filled with enjoying their home and being out and about the countryside.
This first photo is of my husband and me with Yuki-ye in front of Kumamoto Castle in Kumamoto Prefecture on the island of Kyushu.


 
These 2 photos show us with Kenkichi and Yuki-ye and members of their family.
We were on the top of Mt. Aso, on the island of Kyushu,  peering down at the volcanic crater.
Sulfuric gasses were creating the steam in the photo.
Eventually an alarm was sounded and everyone had to leave due to the change of wind and dangerous gas fumes.

 


 
This is Yuki-ye's classroom with all the 4th graders in her school during their Saturday summer vacation classes.
My husband and I are sitting in the middle...I think we can spotted quite easily! 
Yuki-ye is on her knees behind the first row of children on the left.
The children prepared a program about World Peace.
I had the pleasure of teaching these children and some of their mothers and siblings some good 'ole American Country Line Dancing.
We brought home hundreds of wonderful photos.
It was hard to choose for this post.

The theme is "foreign"

10 comments:

catsynth said...

Great take on the theme.
I was in Japan last year, too. Some of the cat figurines I brought back are part of my offering for this week's Photo Hunt.

ipanema said...

beautiful post and photos!

Carver said...

What a great post. Sounds like so much fun and all the photographs are wonderful. Happy weekend.

Baba said...

Hi Carolyn, we both have posted pictures of Japan for today's photo hunt...I visited Japan 13 years ago and loved it.. come over and visit me. Have a good week-end. Baba

Teena in Toronto said...

I bet it was an interesting place to visit.

I played too :)

Scott Law said...

Again this is one of those themes that can easily take so many directions. Yours was super from your fairly recent trip. You must have taken good notes to get all those Japanese names. Great pics and perfect for the theme.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and I hope I see you again soon.

Lew said...

Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your foreign visit with your friends!

SquirrelQueen said...

This sounds like a great trip. It would have been fun to visit with friends and tour the countryside.

jams o donnell said...

It really does sound like a marvellous holiday. Sorry for not being able to visit sooner

Jama said...

Japan is a good place to visit, with it's beautiful nature and polite citizens!