Monday, March 15, 2010

Mellow Yellow Monday / Just Yellow Desert Wild Flowers

 Click on photos to enlarge!
These yellow flowers (among others) were found this last Friday at Anza Borrego Desert State Park in California USA
 The above flower is called the Desert Sunflower.
It is commonly found in this area of the California desert regions.
It grows on the desert floor in sandy soil that you would never believe flowers could grow.

The yellows are the common Desert Dandelion.  
This little flower grows almost like a carpet in the same areas as the Desert Sunflower.

This is a close up of the Desert Dandelion.

We had a very nice time walking around (very carefully) on the desert floor last Friday.
It was a beautiful sunny day with a little breeze.
There was enough breeze to make photographing these wildflowers difficult as they were constantly moving.
I think I will take a large piece of cardboard (or something similar) to create a wind block for the next visit.

7 comments:

Martha Z said...

The breeze did make it a bit challanging but you got some good shots any way. I hadn't thought about using a windbreak, good idea.

Matty said...

Yellow is my favorite color for a flower. The dandelions are much prettier than the regular ones I find in my yard.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Beautiful shots. Happy Mellow Yellow.

Sandy Trefger said...

Beautiful photos! Nice choices for Mellow Yellow Monday!!

Johnny Nutcase said...

Great ones! I could go for a dose of spring in the desert, big time! I really like the last photo...how perfect can that flower be? it's so beautiful and i love that composition, nice!!

Amanda Moore said...

now you're a girl after my own heart posting our local wildflowers. I love Anza Borrego have you been to Joshua Tree, it is very close and just as lovely!

Unknown said...

How exciting that you already have blooms around you! Neat! :)