Sunday, March 28, 2010

Scenic Sunday, Round Robin Photo Challenge / Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park, California USA

My husband and I spent the last 6 days in Yosemite National Park, California USA.
 A visit to these Bridalveil Falls is always on the top of our must see list whenever we come here.
The daytime temperatures at this time of year are in the high 50s to mid 60s.
Night time temperatures are down into the 30s still.

This waterfall is one of many spectacular sights in Yosemite Valley.
It was late afternoon, sunny and windy.
We were treated to a dancing rainbow...
The colors jumped around depending on how the wind was blowing the mist around.
It was quite chilly!
But, what an awesome sight this is!
Click on photos to enlarge!

Bridalveil Fall is often the first seen by visitors entering the park.
It is a 620 ft. fall but the water doesn't always reach the ground because of its light and swaying flow summer through winter.

The moon is slightly visible!

The Ahwahneechee Indians named it Pohono, meaning "spirit of the puffing wind."
These photos were taken on Tuesday, March 23, 2010.

The theme is up to 5 miles away from home.
These falls were within about 5 miles of our hotel in Yosemite National Park...which was our home this past week.
I hope that isn't bending the rules too much...

8 comments:

My name is Riet said...

What a beautiful park Yosimity is. Your woiuctures are wonderful.

Linda Jacobs said...

Love the 'dancing rainbow" and the moon! Gorgeous pictures!

Shannon said...

PERFECT rainbow! It's one of my photography goals to get an amazing picture of a rainbow... never thought to look at a waterfall! ;)

fredamans said...

Most beautiful photos I have seen today. Thank you.

Happy Palm Sunday!

happily retired gal said...

Love your beautiful flower photos in the previous post and the marvelous views from Yosemite here. I've never been there in the Spring when there's so much water coming over this falls.
Hugs and blessings,

Johnny Nutcase said...

awesome photos, Carolyn! I always love going to Yosemite- last time i went thought i was alone and camped in 14 degree weather - basically I froze ! :)

Glad you guys had fun, was wondering where the new posts were! Love the photos, makes me want/need to take a trip down there again soon!

Linnea said...

Very nice. I'm hoping to go to Yosemite in May. Last time I was there the waterfalls were pretty dry...that was late fall. Thanks for stopping by at my SS.

DoanLegacy said...

Whoo! Makes me feel refreshed. Very nice scenery.